Siege of Fort William Henry
The siege of Fort William Henry was led by French General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm. The fort was located on the southern end of Lake George, between the British Province of New York and the French Province of Canada. The fort was stationed by 2,800 poorly supported British troops and provincial militiamen led by Lieutenant Colonel George Monro.
On July 30th Montcalm started to move south from Fort Carillon or Ticonderoga with 4,000 troops. Half of which were French army and the other which were Canadian Militia. Along with 2,000 Native warriors from multiple different tribes. They used boats and canoes to cross 14 miles of water.
On August 9th the fort was surrendered by the British. The French, Natives, and British all agreed to terms of surrender. It was agreed that the troops would be allowed to march out with war honors including, drums beating, colors flying, and all ranks would retain arms and baggage. The British would be escorted to Fort Edward by a French detachment, they could not fight the French for 18 months, and they had to return all French officers, soldiers, Canadians, women, and natives to Fort Ticonderoga in three months. All sick and wounded English would be in the French’s care due to their inability to travel. Finally, all stores and artillery were to be left behind.
However, after the British left the fort, the Native allies attacked and killed some of the survivors. Thus, violating the terms agreed upon.
T., St John Williams Noel. Redcoats along THE Hudson: The Struggle for North AMERICA, 1754-1763. London, UK: Brassey’s, 1998.